What is Tempo?
Tempo is a membership program for both new and seasoned opera-goers ages 21-39. Your $50 Tempo membership includes exciting benefits to help you get acquainted with Minnesota Opera.
Ready to join?
Tempo Membership Benefits
As a Tempo member, you’ll enjoy:
- Savings of up to 76% off opening night 3-, 4-, or 5-opera subscriptions.
- NEW! Tempo subscribers get free exchanges, subject to availability.
- Savings of up to 70% off tickets on select performance dates. See current dates below.
- Invitations to Tempo Nights Out.
- Discounts on Tempo events and Behind the Curtain previews.
- Opportunities to meet the singers and creative team behind each production at select events.
Tempo Night Out Includes:
- Up to two steeply-discounted tickets for select Minnesota Opera’s opening night performances, available in 3-, 4- or 5-opera packages as well as on a show-by-show basis. See pricing below.
- Opera Insights— free, fun and informative sessions held one hour before every show.
- Admittance to the members-only Tempo Intermission Lounge (opening nights only).
- Exclusive invitations to After Parties (as noted below) or happy hours prior to select performances.
To purchase Tempo tickets or opera packages, call the Minnesota Opera Ticket Office at 612-333-6669, M–F, 10am-5pm.
Tempo Performance Dates
NEW! Tempo has expanded performance dates eligible for the Tempo discount. Here are the current dates being offered to Tempo members (subject to change).
- Romeo & Juliet
- Saturday, September 24 at 8pm (opening night with After Party)
- Tuesday, September 27 at 7:30pm
- Das Rheingold
- Saturday, November 12 at 7:30pm (opening night with After Party)
- Tuesday, November 15 at 7:30pm
- Diana’s Garden
- Saturday, January 21 at 7:30pm (opening night with After Party)
- Saturday, January 28 at 7:30pm
- Dinner at Eight
- Saturday, March 11 at 7:30pm (opening night with After Party)
- Saturday, March 18 at 7:30pm
- La Bohème
- Saturday, May 6 at 7:30pm (opening night with After Party)
- Saturday, May 13 at 7:30pm (with After Party)
- Tuesday, May 16 at 7:30pm
- Thursday, May 18 at 7:30pm
- Performance dates eligible for the Tempo discount mall sell out and additional performances may be added. Notifications of these changes will be sent via e-mail.
Tempo Special Events
Tempo has been building the next generation of opera-goers over the last decade through intimate, memorable, and affordable experiences.
- Ryan Taylor + Resident Artists Welcome Concert Friday, Sept. 9
- Social Science: Eye Candy Thursday, Oct. 6
- Sept. 26, 2015 at 8pm: Ariadne auf Naxos
- Nov. 14, 2015 at 7:30pm: The Magic Flute
- Jan. 23, 2016 at 7:30pm: Rusalka
- Mar. 12, 2016 at 7:30pm: Tosca
- May 7, 2016 at 7:30pm: The Shining
- May 14, 2016 at 7:30pm: The Shining (please note: There will not be a Tempo After Party on this night)
Tempo Happy Hour + Behind the Curtain
Meet up at a North Loop neighborhood hot spot for cocktails and nosh. Then head over to the Minnesota Opera Center just blocks away for Behind the Curtain. Get the inside scoop as opera experts and members of the cast and creative team lead discussions exploring the music, history and design of each opera. Behind the Curtain events are ideal for first-time opera goers and long-term fans alike. Please purchase your tickets ahead of time; these events sell out quickly.
- Sept. 23, 2015 at 7pm: Ariadne auf Naxos – The Freehouse
- Nov. 11, 2015 at 7pm: The Magic Flute – Vieux Carré – (please note this Behind the Curtain takes place at the Ordway Music Theater)
- Jan. 13, 2016 at 7pm: Rusalka – Smack Shack
- Feb. 24, 2016 at 7pm: Tosca – Parlour
Admission: Cash bar and food available for purchase at happy hour locations. RSVP required via firstname.lastname@example.org. Behind the Curtain tickets: $15/Tempo member, $35/general admission. Happy Hours begin at 5pm; Behind the Curtain events begin at 7pm.
Tempo Board of Directors and Committee Members
Tempo represents the next generation of opera-goers and is vital to Minnesota Opera’s future success. If you would like to become more involved by volunteering, please consider joining the Tempo Board or a Committee of the Board.
2016–2017 Tempo Board applications are now being taken to fill a limited numbers of positions. Please complete the application and submit it to email@example.com by Friday, April 29.
Tempo Board of Directors and Committee Members:
Thomas Bakken, Programming Chair
Eric Broker, Staff Liaison
Alexis DuPlessis, Secretary
Jennifer Engel, Chair
Kristin Matejcek, Staff Liaison
Faris Rashid, Treasurer
Chrissi Reimer, Membership Chair
Jana Sackmeister, Marketing Chair