Project Opera is Minnesota Opera’s youth training program for talented young singers. The group performs one opera a year that is for kids and by kids. Project Opera students also serve as the children’s chorus in Minnesota Opera main stage productions.
This season features our fully staged youth opera Odyssey by Ben Moore and Kelley Rourke, as well as opportunities to sing in the children’s chorus for Dead Man Walking.
Minnesota Opera is looking for all talented boys and girls who want to learn about singing, acting, and opera.
- Ragazzi is a mixed group of talented singers in grades 4-8. They explore the world of opera and choral music, develop skills in multi-part singing, and the basics in performing in foreign languages.
- Giovani is a mixed group made up of students in grades 9-12 who perform primarily in a choral music setting. Participants develop the fundamentals of solo singing, basic acting skills and perform in the chorus of an age-appropriate opera in the spring with the Apprentices.
- Apprentices, for advanced students in grade 12 to develop skills in solo singing, stage presence, advanced language skills, and more.
Participants work closely with Minnesota Opera and other local artists.
- Ragazzi – Saturdays (9am-12pm)
- Giovani – Saturdays (9am-12pm)
- Apprentices – Saturday (12:30-2:30pm)
Please note that rehearsal times may change throughout the year, and may include weekend and weekday evening rehearsals. A complete schedule will be sent upon request.
The Project Opera season starts in September and runs through May and generally follows the school calendar.
Participation is by audition only. For more information, please email Music Director Matthew Abernathy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Live auditions for Project Opera will be held Tuesday, August 15 from 5:30-7:30pm.
- Ragazzi: $1,000
- Giovani: $1,000
- Apprentices: $1,400
Scholarships and fundraising are available.
Be a part of one of the most exciting and unique programs in the country!