Project Opera is Minnesota Opera’s youth training program for talented young singers. The group performs one opera a year that is for kids and by kids. Project Opera students also serve as the children’s chorus in Minnesota Opera main stage productions.
In January 2014, Project Opera will perform a fully staged opera, Lukas Foss’ Griffelkin.
Minnesota Opera is looking for all talented boys and girls who want to learn about singing, acting and opera.
- Ragazzi is a mixed group of talented singers in grades 4-7. They explore the world of opera and choral music, develop skills in multi-part singing, and the basics in performing in foreign languages.
- Giovani is a mixed group made up of students in grades 8-12 who perform primarily in a choral music setting. Participants develop the fundamentals of solo singing, basic acting skills and perform in the chorus of an age-appropriate opera in the spring with the Apprentices.
- Apprentices, a mixed group of advanced students in grades 8-12 who develop skills in solo singing, stage presence, advanced language skills, and more. Students will perform an age-appropriate opera in the spring along with Giovani.
Led by Music Director Dale Kruse, participants work closely with Minnesota Opera and other local artists.
- Ragazzi – Saturdays (8:30-10:30 am)
- Giovani – Saturdays (11:00 am-2:00 pm)
- Apprentices – Saturday (2:30 pm-4:30 pm)
The Project Opera season starts in September and runs through May and generally follows the school calendar.
Participation is by audition only. For more information and to schedule an audition, email Kathy Kraulik at email@example.com.
- Ragazzi – $850
- Giovani – $950
- Apprentices – $1,400
Scholarships and fundraising are available.
Be a part of one of the most exciting and unique programs in the country!